Thursday, January 22, 2009

1. Harry Potter (Panda's version) -Featuring Janet Hayden - Chapter 4

All of a sudden, the focus of the whole room was switched towards Janet.
Janet stared around the room for a reason for her to escape the focus while Dumbledore spoke again, “Janet, I believe you have got the admission letter from Hogwarts which I specially sent it specifically into your hands instead of your parents.”
“Oh, you mean this thing?” Janet pulled out the piece of parchment from her jeans pocket and showed it to Dumbledore.
“Ah, Yes. I believe you understand the contents of the letter saying that you are now accepted to Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry,” Dumbledore looked at the piece of parchment on Janet’s hand and looked at Janet again with his twinkling blue eyes.
“I do understand the literal meaning of the letter but are you telling me that this is all real? I mean I thought it was a joke, a Halloween joke, you see. With the owls, witches and things, aren’t those linked to Halloween?” Janet answered while avoiding Dumbledore’s eyes. There is something about those eyes, it seems like it could see through thoughts or something although they don’t bore into you and search for answers but they have a soft gaze that slowly penetrates into your mind.
“Indeed, I believe,” Dumbledore smiled after hearing her answer. “A smart girl like you will definitely link all these to a Halloween joke while others might just treat it as their imagination went wild and forget about it minutes later. But, what if these things are real? Would you like to go to a school like that? A school of magic.”
“I will have to change schools then. Hence, I don’t think I will accept that offer. I have been doing quite well in my school and I have just been offered a scholarship to continue my studies. I don’t think I’d want to give up all that to a school that I’m not familiar of. Anyway, I have zero background in magic, witchcraft or whatever do you call it that is taught in that school so I guess I’ll never be able to cope with all those unfamiliar stuff compare to those that I’m studying now.” Janet answered honestly, there’s no way she’ll be giving up what she have been working so hard for, the scholarship to Queen Anne's.
“I think we should respect Janet’s decision. If she wants to stay here then she shall stay here. Nothing should change.” Emily Hayden voice out suddenly, after her long silence during Dumbledore and her daughter’s conversation.
Dumbledore knew that convincing the Haydens to return to their actual world will not be easy after all these years they have been shifting away from that world and adapted themselves to world they call home now. However, he can still see certain eagerness in David Hayden that he missed his world. “So I believe you will agree with your wife, wouldn’t you, David?”
“I…” David shot a nervous look at his wife, who shot back a no-we-don’t-want-to-go-back look. “I think we should go with Janet’s decision.” Emily’s tensed face finally broke into a slight encouraging smile to her husband. “if Janet doesn’t want to go, then here we stay.” David spoke while holding firmly to his wife’s hand.
“Wait!”
Emily and David both were startled at their daughter’s words.
“What is it, Janet?” Dumbledore saw his chance.
Janet finally got the chance to raise out all the questions that have been circling in her mind, “Although I’m not changing schools but I want to know what this is all about. Why are owls sending letters and all these so-called magic stuff? Why am I the only one who thinks it’s weird for owls to send letters while mom and dad, you act as though it happens everyday? And why, all of a sudden, I was told that I have a place in a school of magic when I no knowledge or know anything about magic?”
“Ah! I have been waiting for you to ask. I believe your parents owe you an explanation about all your questions.” Dumbledore said while smiling at David and Emily Hayden.
David looked as though he had something stuck in his throat and Emily was as pale as ever. But it was Emily who said, “Maybe there are things that Janet has to know.”
“What’s that I have to know?”
“Janet,” Emily said in a shaky voice, “you are a witch.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!! Really appreciate that!