Monday, July 2, 2012

1. Harry Potter (Panda's version) - Featuring Janet Hayden - Chapter 10


“Really? I can decide where to go?”
     “Of course you can. I think you are old enough to make your own decisions and be responsible for them. Besides, now I have an explanation on why the cockroaches just disappeared from your room.”
     “You mean they didn’t escape through a hole from the corner of my room?”
     “There weren’t any holes in your room. We couldn’t think of a better answer, we can’t just tell you that you could make things disappear, could we?”
     “Oh, no wonder I couldn’t find any holes and I swear those cockroaches will just disappear after I blink, I didn’t see them crawling off elsewhere.”
     “I used to make the crease on my shirts disappear to save the hassle of ironing.” Emily said cheekily.
     “What? You have been doing that all these while? And you said I have iron my own clothes when I go to high school.” Janet exclaimed.
     “I stop doing that since we start our muggle life. I think we are the most successful wizard family who adapted to the muggle life. I think muggles will never sense anything different from us and people from our kind will even look us off as muggles.” Emily says proudly, it is true that they had made great efforts to learn how to be a muggle as they were both from wizard families. David’s sister-in-law, your Aunt Carol is a muggle which gave a whole lot of advise on their home decoration to keep it as muggle-ish possible. The rest are mostly things they learn from the television, in their opinion, the greatest invention of the muggles.
     “About your school, Hogwarts?”
     “What about it?”
     “What is it like? Do they have normal classes? Or something else? What do you do and learn there?” There are so many questions swarming within Janet’s mind and she don’t know where to start.
     “It is like normal schools. We have classes, teachers, activities and even field trips to a village nearby, called Hogsmeade, a very nice place to visit besides the castle.”
     “A castle? There is a castle?”
     “The school is a castle. We have classrooms all over the castle for different subjects. Let me see, we have Charms, Potions, Transfiguration, Astrology…” Emily counted the subjects off her fingers.
     “Woah! All of them sound interesting. What is transfiguration?”
     “Oh, that’s one of my favourite subjects. We learn how to turn things into something else in Transfiguration.”
       “like white handkerchiefs into pigeons?” Janet suggested excitedly.
     “Better than that, we can even turn chairs into horses, hedgehogs into pin cushions and a lot of other things. It’s not like what you see on TV.”
     “You need a wand to do those things, right? I saw that in the letter. It’s in the requirements. Do you have a wand?” Janet asks eagerly.
     “Of course. A wand is the most important tool in the wizarding world. You won’t be a qualified wizard or witch if you don’t have a wand.”
     “Do you still have it? Your wand? Can I have a look? Please.”
     “Well, maybe some other time. I need to find it first. Your father and I hid our wands away from each other to prevent the urge of performing magic and end up going back to our previous lives.” Emily said, in a cheeky tone, obviously proud of herself for being able to resist the urge of using magic after all these years.
     “So dad has your wand? And you have dad’s?” Janet is trying to hint that if she could not have a look at her mom’s wand, she can maybe have a glimpse of her dad’s.
     “David’s wand? That reminds me. I have it here.” Emily look around the room and walks towards Janet’s toy cupboard.
     “Here? You mean dad’s wand is in my room?” Janet asks.
     “Yup. Let me see,” Emily opens the toy cupboard and pulls out a toy hammer. “Here it is!”
     Janet peered at the toy hammer curiously and asks, “Wands look like hammers? I always thought it looks like a stick.”
     “Oh,” Emily look at the toy hammer she is holding and laughs, “Wands do shape like sticks, I just did some transfiguration on your father’s wand so that he will not be tempted by the looks of it.”
     “Then how do you turn it back into a wand?”
     “First, I’ll need my wand.” Emily said in an extraordinarily high-pitched voice.
     “Oh, ok. No rush about that. We’ll ask dad later.”

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!! Really appreciate that!