Monday, April 9, 2007

The Life of Orphans - Chapter 23

Tony: It's so quiet without Zax around.
Jason: We'll be starting work this Monday; I wonder Zax will still be working?
Tony: I think he'll continue. He loves that job.
Cyndi: But his family is so rich. Do you think they will let their only long-lost son work as a waiter?
Sam: I guess Cyndi has a point there.
Tony: Maybe they will let him because he's their only-long-lost son.
Jason: I sure hope so. I can't work there alone without him guiding me what to do or say.
On Zax's side,
Zax was in his room lying on his bed,
Zax: I wonder how are they doing right now? It feels so funny without Tony nagging me, Cyndi arguing with me, forcing Jason to speak more than two sentences and betting with Sam on basketball games. Sigh. Wait a minute; I have to start work on Monday. I get to see them after all. YES!
Voice: Can you please not shout? You are not the only one in this house!
Zax: What am I doing here anyway? She's so annoying. That's even worst than before. She just dislikes whatever I do. If it's not for dad I won't be here. But wait, I'm leaving in a week's time. YES!
Voice: Oye!
Zax: SORRY! Since I’m in a good mood.
Just then there was a phone call,
Zax: She'll get that. I don't want anyone to know that I’m here.
Voice: Oye! Are you deaf? Can you hear the phone is ringing?
Zax: Who's the one deaf? (Walks out from his room and saw that his stepmother was doing a mask) I thought you were supposed to stay still when you are doing a mask? I wonder how did she shout so much and not getting a crack? (Pick up the phone) Hello?
From the phone: Hello, are you a family member of Mr. Wang?
Zax: Umm.... Yes, I am.
FTP (From the phone): Mr. Wang is now in the hospital. Can you please come over?
Zax: WHAT! I will straight away. (Hang Up)
ZSM (Zax's stepmother. Dunno what name should I give her): Can you not shout for once?
Zax: Dad is in the hospital! We have to get there quick!
ZSM: (mutters) It's not the first time, what's the rush?
Zax: OYE! Are you coming or not.
ZSM: Yes.
In the hospital,
Zax: How is he?
Doctor: His condition is not improving. I guess there isn't much time for him now. Just let him enjoy.
Zax: WHAT! He's dying?! No way! What is he suffering from?
Doctor: You don't know? It's lung cancer. And please lower your volume.
Zax: Sorry. Thanks.
Doctor: I'll leave now. You can go in.
Zax: Why didn't you tell me?!
ZSM: I thought you know.
Zax: How am I supposed to know? I just came back a few days ago!
ZSM: Oic, That's means you're not back just to inherit your father's properties?
Zax: I don't need anything from him. Is that why you always pick on me? You thought I was going to inherit dad's property? You thought I was going to get everything? Don't you?
ZSM: Isn't that what you always want? You and your mom will always be the first in his heart. What about me? After everything I did for him.
Zax: You just want his money.
ZD (Zax's Dad): Zax? You're here?
Zax: Yes, dad. I'm here. Why didn't you tell me?
ZD: I don't want you to worry.
Zax: But I’m your son, I have the right to know. Is that why you want me back so badly?
ZD: I always knew that you live in the orphanage. I didn't fetch you back because I see that you were much happier there than you were at home.
Zax: (turn to ZSM) We would like to talk alone.
ZSM: Ok. (Went out)
Zax: Dad, how are you doing these few years?
ZD: Fine.
Zax: How long had you have cancer?
ZD: Never mind that. I heard you've been doing well in school. You even made it into the school basketball team. I am really proud of you.
Zax: The doc said ...
ZD: Said I don't have much time now right? It's ok, son. It's almost time. I can't wait to see your mum.
Zax: No. I just met up with you. You can't just go and leave me here like that!
ZD: I don't really have anything to worry about except you and Gem (Zax's stepmother, just thought of the name). I really owe her a lot. I didn't really care for her since our marriage.
Zax: (mutters) I don't thinks she cares. All she cares about is money.
ZD: Can you help me look after her? She really cares about you, she cried so much when you were missing.
Zax: Really? What did she tell you?
ZD: I don't really remember but I know she's really sad and she blames herself a lot.
Zax: (mutters) Yeah right. It's her who sent me to the orphanage.
ZD: Have you found yourself a girlfriend?
Zax: (shock to that question) Huh?
ZD: I know it's a little early for you but I know I might not be able to see your wedding.
Zax: Yup. I got one. She's really pretty.
ZD: Really? When are you going to introduce her to me?
Zax: As soon as you're out of here.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!! Really appreciate that!