Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Life of Orphans - Chapter 8

The Life of Orphans

Chapter 8

Tony: Zax was absent today.

Cyndi: So?

Tony: Do you mind to go and check on him to see what is wrong?

Cyndi: Why me? Can't you call Jason?

Jason: We have basketball practice.

Cyndi: [Basketball again, is that all you guys think about?] Fine.

Sam: We'll go over as soon as the practice is over.

Cyndi: You'd better be.

So, I went to Zax's room and knocked the door but no one answered.

Cyndi: (knocking the door) Zax! It's me, Cyndi. [What is he doing in there?]

I tried to peek in through the window but the curtains were closed.

Cyndi: Maybe something went wrong.

I went to the back of his room and opened the window then climbed through. I saw Zax was lying in bed and his face was pale. So, I went over.

Cyndi: Zax, are you ok? (He didn't wake)

I feel his forehead and jerked up at once.

Cyndi: Wow! You are boiling!

I quickly wetted a small towel and put it on his forehead. Then I rushed out to the school doctor for some fever medicine. I came back to Zax's room and change the towel. The towel was indeed warm. If I put a kettle on him it may boil.

A while later, Zax woke.

Cyndi: So, you are at last, awake.

Zax: You have been here all the while?

Cyndi: Of course I was. If it's not for me, you might have already died.

Zax: Come on, I’m sick here. Stop the cursing.

Cyndi: Sorry.

Zax: It's ok.

Cyndi: By the way, are you hungry? You didn't eat anything since morning, right?

Zax: No problem. I'm not hungry.

Cyndi: You must eat something. Wait for me, I’ll be right back. (Ran out)

Zax: Wow! Is it because that I’m sick or what, why is my heart beating so
furiously? I can't be in love with her; she's like a sister to me. Although we are not really a family... Ahh! All this thinking is giving me a headache! (Lies down and closes his eyes)

A few minutes later,

Cyndi: Ummm.... Zax? (Tapping him)

Zax: Uh?

Cyndi: I brought you some porridge, after you finish this, you can take your medicine and then go back to sleep, ok?

Zax: Ok.

Cyndi: How is it?

Zax: Not bad.

Cyndi: Good, that means you still can taste.

After Zax had his medicine,

Cyndi: Ok, now you can go to sleep.

Zax: But I’m not tired.

Cyndi: No, no, no, you are sick, you must rest. (Pulls up his blanket)

Zax: Come on, I slept enough already. I might not be able to sleep at night.

Cyndi: Fine, fine. (Feel his forehead) It's not so hot anymore.

Zax: Of course, I’m a strong guy.

Cyndi: Hah! Since you are ok now, I think I’ll go back now.

Zax: No!

Cyndi: Why?

Zax: [I don't want her to, I want her to stay a little longer. What should I say?]

Cyndi: Yes?

Zax: Uh? Oh, it's going to be boring if I’m alone here.

Cyndi: Oh, I see. I'll go and change then I’ll come back, ok?

Zax: Ok.

After Cyndi left,

Zax: I can't be. I can't be in love with her! I always quarrel with her since we
were kids. No way, no way. (Turn over and saw the photo which the five of them took when Jason and Cyndi was graduated from primary school) Those were the good old days.

Later that day, Sam, Tony and Jason came back from practice.

Sam: How are you?

Zax: As strong as a horse.

Cyndi: Oh really?

Tony: What's his problem?

Cyndi: Someone got high fever today. (Singsong voice)

Jason: Oh, the strong horse is sick.

Zax: Even a great big elephant can get sick.

Tony: Anyway, here's today's homework.

Zax: Aw... I’m sick here; can't I take a leave from homework?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!! Really appreciate that!