Wednesday, February 14, 2007

The Life of Orphans - Chapter 9

The Life of Orphans

Chapter 9
After class,

Teacher: Cyndi, can you come with me?

Cyndi: Ok. (Turns to Jason) You go ahead first.

Jason: What did you do?

Cyndi: No idea. I'll find out soon.

Jason: Good luck.

Cyndi: I'm not going to die, you know.

Teacher: Come on, Cyndi.

In the teacher's room,

Teacher: Cyndi Wang, do you know that the end year exam is just around the
corner?

Cyndi: Yes, I do.

Teacher: I was looking through your report card and I found something very interesting.

Cyndi: Really?

Teacher: Since you were in high school your results run in a very strange rotation.

Cyndi: Meaning?

Teacher: Our school has four exams in a year. Your results in the first three
exams were outstanding but when it comes to the end year exam, your results will suddenly drop. May I know why?

Cyndi: The end year exam's questions are usually harder than the ones before, it's not strange.

Teacher: But this happens every year. You can't tell me that it's hard every year?

Cyndi: It is.

Teacher: That doesn't make sense. You know that the end year exam are the most important exam throughout the whole year, it will decide what class you are going to be in next year. With your first three exam's results, you are certainly qualified to be in the first class.

Cyndi: That's why. Because my results during the first three exams were good, I got over-confidence and seldom study. That’s the reason why my results drop.

Teacher: If you have any problems, you can share it with me. I might be able to help you.

Cyndi: No, nothing's wrong.

Teacher: I know that you are an orphan and you may have some problems that you can't settle by yourself. Maybe I can help you.

Cyndi: No. Really. There's no problem at all. It’s just a coincidence.

Teacher: Ok, since you don't want to talk about it, I won't force you. But you can tell me when you are ready to share.

Cyndi: Ok teacher, I’ll tell you, as soon I know what's wrong. (Nodding)

Teacher: Ok, you can go now.

Cyndi: Thanks. (Runs off)

The teacher sitting on the opposite heard everything and said

Teacher B (can't think of anything else): That's Cyndi Wang right?

Teacher A (Cyndi's Form teacher, the one talking to her just now): Yes.

Teacher B: She's a strange student. I was her class teacher last year.

Teacher A: I just don't understand. If she did well in her end year exams, she will certainly be top student.

Teacher B: She's an orphan; we won't understand their thoughts since we are not.

Teacher A: I guess you are right. I just hope she will change.

Well, someone overheard the conversation between Cyndi and her teacher and the conversation between the two teachers. He quickly walked out to catch up with Cyndi.

Sam (ahh.. I revealed the answer): Cyndi!

Cyndi: Hello, Sam.

Sam: Have time to talk?

Cyndi: Umm... Ok.

Sam: I heard everything.

Cyndi: Huh?

Sam: At the teacher room just now.

Cyndi: Oh that. So?

Sam: What is the problem?

Cyndi: Since you heard everything. You should have heard my answer.

Sam: I know you since you were a kid, I can tell whether you are lying or not.

Cyndi: Wow, you are creepy. You know when I lied to you?

Sam: Don't change the topic. We were friends since we were kids. We are even closer than our own family. I think there's nothing you can't share with me.

Cyndi: Of course we are closer than our families.

Sam: Are you going to answer my question?

Cyndi: Ok, fine. I did that because I want to be in the same class with Jason.

Sam: Jason? You mean you like Jason?

Cyndi: What do you mean? He's my only friend in class.

Sam: Oh, nothing. (Relieved) Don't you have other friends?

Cyndi: Apart from the four of you, I don't think so.

Sam: What!

Cyndi: What so surprising? I don't mind. You guys are enough as friends or family.

Sam: But you are a smart girl. Don't you think it's a waste if you do that?

Cyndi: Don't worry. I'll do better during my "hui kao" {an exam which you take
when you are in form 5}

Sam: You will have a bright future if you study well.

Cyndi: That one, I know.

Sam: I didn't know that you were so smart.

Cyndi: That means you don't know me well enough.

Sam: Oh really? Or is that because you always make up that your exam results were very bad and don't want to talk about it?

Cyndi: I thought you said you'd always know when I lied?

Sam: Of course, I do. I just don't want to break your lies and make you embarrassed.

Cyndi: Hah! Lame excuse. (Hits him at the back of the head and runs)

Sam: Ouch! I'll get you for this! (Chase after her)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for your comments!! Really appreciate that!